smart hanging on librpm/__memp_fget_rpmdb

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Wed Nov 22 04:20:02 PST 2006

On Nov 22, 2006, at 6:55 AM, Axel Thimm wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 10:10:34AM +0000, John Pilkington wrote:
>>
>>> Mauricio Teixeira (netmask) <mteixeira at webset.net> added the
>>> comment:
>>>
>>> Is this still an issue? What version of smart/rpm?
>>>
>> I have not reported this to Axel, but smart (from atrpms) does
>> occasionally hang for me during the final stage of the 'updating
>> cache'
>> phase.  It works again after a reboot.  This is not a really serious
>> problem for me, because I reboot frequently, but it would be
>> difficult
>> in a production environment.
>>
>> version is smart-0.42-39.fc5.at.i386
>>
>> This has been happening for several weeks - perhaps since the 2.6.18
>> kernel came in.  I don't think I can be more specific about when it
>> first happened.
>
> Lately there seems to be a general regression on FC wrt rpm based
> software, which affects apt, smart and yum all the like and
> higher lever depsolvers based on these, too, of course.
>
> Although noone seems to be able to put a finger on any part of
> rpm/beecrypt/db4 that didn't have any relevant changes something seems
> to be triggering race situations. Some blamed yum-updatesd, others the
> way (the new) yum opens/closes the rpmdb, but it seems to even happen
> w/o any yum present and on both FC5 and FC6, so it's probably a
> combination of kernel 2.6.18 latency/lock changes and rpm that
> triggers this. But ATM this is just my best guess based on the
> observations of rpm/apt/smart/yum bugs reported.

Whatever, make up your own FUD.

      https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/rpm-devel/2006-November/
001858.html

yum deciding to open an rpmdb thousands of times per run in order to
catch
signals is the problem. Wanna bet? The fix is well underway.

There's a further problem that snatching join keys out of a rpmdb,
keeping them
around for a while, and then attempting to retrieve headers using
previously known
good keys is going to cause further heartburn down the road a bit.

73 de Jeff