smart hanging on librpm/__memp_fget_rpmdb

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Nov 22 04:49:38 PST 2006

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 07:20:02AM -0500, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> >>I have not reported this to Axel, but smart (from atrpms) does
> >>occasionally hang for me during the final stage of the 'updating
> >>cache'
> >>phase.  It works again after a reboot.  This is not a really serious
> >>problem for me, because I reboot frequently, but it would be
> >>difficult
> >>in a production environment.
> >>
> >>version is smart-0.42-39.fc5.at.i386
> >>
> >>This has been happening for several weeks - perhaps since the 2.6.18
> >>kernel came in.  I don't think I can be more specific about when it
> >>first happened.
> >
> >Lately there seems to be a general regression on FC wrt rpm based
> >software, which affects apt, smart and yum all the like and
> >higher lever depsolvers based on these, too, of course.
> >
> >Although noone seems to be able to put a finger on any part of
> >rpm/beecrypt/db4 that didn't have any relevant changes something seems
> >to be triggering race situations. Some blamed yum-updatesd, others the
> >way (the new) yum opens/closes the rpmdb, but it seems to even happen
> >w/o any yum present and on both FC5 and FC6, so it's probably a
> >combination of kernel 2.6.18 latency/lock changes and rpm that
> >triggers this. But ATM this is just my best guess based on the
> >observations of rpm/apt/smart/yum bugs reported.
>
> Whatever, make up your own FUD.

Jeff, please *read* more carefully, randomly insulting and jumping the
gun is not helping. I wrote that there are people reporting these bugs
on yum-free systems and on older FC systems that don't have the new
yum "improvements" ...

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net