smart hanging on librpm/__memp_fget_rpmdb

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Nov 22 05:23:20 PST 2006

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 02:12:21PM +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 07:59:27AM -0500, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> an apt problem reporter, ...
>
> > Meanwhile, the vast majority of problems are coming from yum
> > deciding to reopen an rpmdb thousands of times per run in order to
> > handle signals.
>
> ... who when asked about yum on his system answered with
>
> | [drzeus at poseidon]$ rpm -q yum
> | package yum is not installed
> |
> | That little bastard aint getting in here.
>
> but perhaps he's running in on a laptop, or the issues are not at
> rpmdb level. Feel free to check the bug out.

And I forgot to mention that the bug report you're replying to is also
from a dedicated smart user, not having yum installed at all (and for
that matter apt). He also investigated and found that only the kernel
(2.6.18) and selinux libs (but selinux is disabled) changed from a
working smart setup to his several-times-broken-per-day situation:

http://lists.atrpms.net/pipermail/atrpms-users/2006-October/006181.html

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net