smart 0.50rc1-7 ok @ shell, GUI fails

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Wed Nov 29 10:26:46 PST 2006

> as the "package manager", isn't smart supposed to
> manage/identify/resolve such problems?

No, it's *NOT*.

> if a package needs, but is missing, a dependency, isn't smart supposed
> to find/install it?

As you have noticed, there are no broken dependencies in your
system.  There's no way for a package manager to tell if the
*content* of a package is correct, or if everything that is
needed for the packaged software to run is there.

> or have i completely misunderstood its purpose?

It looks like so.  I thought for a while about developing commands
such as "install-peace" and "remove-war", but I gave up.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net