[issue222] smart chooses wrong architecture

jon at Labix Tracker tracker at labix.org
Fri Oct 6 15:07:27 PDT 2006

New submission from jon <linux.learner at gmail.com>:

I recieved this report from another user on a forum. I will post his report here.

" xine available to update.
installed:
libxine1 1.1.2-0.pm.0 at i686
libxine1-aa 1.1.2-0pm.0 at i686
libxine1-arts 1.1.2-0pm.0 at i686
libxine-devel 1.1.2-0pm.0 at i686
libxine1directfb 1.1.2-0pm.0 at i686
and so on

for upgrade I selected libxine1 1.1.2cvs-20061004.pm.0 at i686
all resulting dependencies were selected for i586 downgrading arch from i686 to
i586 even though i686 upgrade is available. see attached picture.

in other words smart does not really recognize arch but goes with first in
selection from version column. This is evidently smart error.

another problem with smart:
updating from i586 to i686 generates error "package already installed"."

Here is the picture:
http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=976

messages: 751
nosy: linux_learner