smart problem with i386 in x86_64 environment

J.L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Wed Sep 20 01:05:37 PDT 2006

Hi,
I have a small problem which I don't know if it is a bug or something
else.
Recently when performing a nightly update yum complained about an
transaction check error like:
Error: Transaction Check Error:   file /etc/sane.d/artec_eplus48u.conf
from install of sane-backends-1.0.18-2.fc5 conflicts with file from
package sane-backends-1.0.17-5.fc5.9.
When I used snmart it complained:
Can't install sane-backends-1.0.18-2.fc5 at i386: no package provides
libsane.so.1.
It turned out that the library is available in:
download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/5/i386/sane-backends-libs-1.0.18-2.fc5.i386.rpm
but when I look in the channel-list no i386 channel is visible.
Now other packages which are available as well to i386 as x86_64 get
upgraded normally (at least I don't get this kind of errors) so why this
package?
Do I have to add manually the i386 channels as well? I assume I then get
a lot of upgrades for programs for which 2 versions are not necessary.
I hope somebody can clarify.
Joep