download speed

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Tue Sep 12 10:12:44 PDT 2006

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 07:22:09 -0700 linux_learner <linux.learner at gmail.com> wrote:

> All you did was change the time out.
>
> The network was less congested.

Then let me repeat my original question - for which I have not
received suggestions:

  I'm experiencing situations where 'smart' receives a "block" of
  data (and shows the instantaneous transfer rate as, say, 5 KB/sec).
  Then (presumably because further "blocks" are experiencing errors)
  the displayed transfer rate counts down, sometimes even reaching
  'Stalled'.  *Sometimes* another good block is received, and the
  count-down of the displayed rate begins anew.  But sooner or later,
  the transfer of a particular package (or repository index file)
  counts down to 'Stalled' and remains there (i.e., there seems to
  be *no* further data transfer taking place for that particular
  package/file).  When all ongoing transfers have gone to this
  'permanently Stalled' state, the download process itself times out.

  I would like the smart "apply/commit" process to keep going - i.e.,
  to NOT enter into these __permanently__ 'Stalled' states.

  Is there a configuration value or specifiable parameter that I
  can set, to have 'smart' KEEP GOING with a data transfer despite
  the presence of transmission errors -- instead of permanently
  'Stalling' that data transfer ?

mikus