What does all this mean?

Basil Chupin blchupin at tpg.com.au
Wed Sep 20 20:32:52 PDT 2006

Basil Chupin wrote:
> Andreas Hanke wrote:
>> Basil Chupin schrieb:
>>> SyntaxError: not well-formed (invalid token): line 479344, column 58
>>>
>>> Now all smart does is give me this message everytime I run it to do the
>>> upgrades :-( .
>>>
>>> What does the above mean, what is wrong and how to overcome the problem?
>>
>> There is a malformed XML file in the online update repository.
>>
>> In order to get rid of the error, please disable the update repository
>> (temporarily). You can either leave it disabled and wait until the XML
>> file is fixed, or use this alternative channel definition instead:
>>
>> http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2006-09/msg00327.html
>>
>> Andreas Hanke
>
> Many thanks, Andreas. Shall wait for the xml file to be repaired (hate
> messing around at this end with something which works).

Well, it isn't as easy as this to get this problem resolved :-( . Smart
Manager will cannot get past the Updating Cache stage to be able to go
away and update the channels- get to ~90% of doing the cache and then
gives the following error message and won't go any further:

Traceback (most recent call last):

   File "/usr/bin/smart", line 194, in ?
     main(sys.argv[1:])

   File "/usr/bin/smart", line 167, in main
     exitcode = iface.run(opts.command, opts.argv)

   File
"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/smart/interfaces/gtk/interactive.py",
line 364, in run
     self._ctrl.reloadChannels()

   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/smart/control.py", line 375,
in reloadChannels
     self._cache.load()

   File
"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/smart/backends/rpm/metadata.py", line
321, in loadFileProvides
     self.parseFilesList(fndict)

   File
"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/smart/backends/rpm/metadata.py", line
346, in parseFilesList
     for event, elem in cElementTree.iterparse(file, ("start", "end")):

   File "<string>", line 64, in __iter__

SyntaxError: not well-formed (invalid token): line 479344, column 58

So, I either have to zap the cache, I guess, before I can even select
the new source provided (above).

(Comment: is it THIS simple for smart to be put out of action by a
(probable) typo in a (?)xml file? :-( .)

Cheers.

--
Paranoia is simply an optimistic outlook on life.