smart patch

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Wed Aug 1 09:31:32 PDT 2007

Hello Hamish,

> My name is hamish robertson and I'm trying to put together a distro
> for use in Laos. I'm not sure if you read my email on the mailing list
> but we really need a way to install programs in linux without the

I've read it, and I'm still trying to digest.  I'm not completely
sure about the nature of the feature you're looking for.

> internet. People here will take their USB stick to an internet cafe,
> load the program on their memory stick and then try and install it on
> their computer 30 kilometers away. We all know what's going to happen
> when they try that with rpm files. :)

That's feasible with Smart right now.  You can do something like:

  1. Run: smart upgrade --urls > needed-urls.txt
  2. Take needed-urls.txt to the internet cafe, and download these files.
  4. Ask Smart to install these files.

Am I too far off track, or are you indeed looking for something
like that?

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net