configuration in read-only mode

Jack Schneider puck at dp-indexing.com
Thu Aug 23 13:37:20 PDT 2007

On Thursday 23 August 2007 14:42, Randy Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> on my machine (SuSE linux 10.1 on a centrino duo), ksmarttray is stuck
> on "Updating channels...".  When I run "smart --gui", I get a warning
> stating "Warning:  configuration is in readonly mode".
>
> If I later try to update channels using the gui, I get the error "Can't
> update channels in readonly mode".
>
> So...I'm stuck.
>
> I have no idea how my configuration got into this state.  Looking at
> /var/lib/smart/config, permissions are -rw-r--r-- for the root user, so
> that doesn't seem to be the problem.
>
> Can anybody give me any suggestions how to resolve this problem?  I'm
> using Smart 0.51.
>
> thanks,
> Randy Smith
Randy,

What I do (regularly) is to let smart reset it's self. As follows:

Get out of X ctrl-alt-bs
Drop to init 3
login as root
#rpm --rebuilddb
#ldconfig && SuSEconfig
#cd /var/lib/smart
#rm -rf cache
# rm -rf channels
# smart  update
# smart upgrade

That usually resets things to most current channels and up to date upgrades...

If you have specific channels installed you would have to note and
re-install..   YMMV

Jack