smart installation not scriptable

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 20:34:38 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 18:22 -0800, Cliff Wells wrote:

> > smart update" requires no other input unless you want to specify
> > particular channel[s]
>
> It does *on first install*, and this is my problem.  I'm trying to
> automate installation after a fresh installation of a distro:
>

> [root at vz111 /]# yum install smart -y

-snip-

> Dependency Installed: fedora-package-config-smart.i386 0:8-10 smart.i386
> 0:0.51-49.fc8
> Complete!
> [root at vz111 /]# smart update
> New channel 'Fedora - i386 - Development (development)' detected.
> Include it? (Y/n):

-etc, etc-

There really is HUGE advantage, imho, to having the channels added
automatically for a given distro after installing smart. Adding selected
channels afterwards is an extra step that would defeat the purpose of
you having an automated install of smart :-/ So, sounds to me like you
need to hack the script that invokes the channel adding so that it is
NOT interactive but done automatically at first-time run. How you do
that I don't know, but the developers may point you in the right
direction when they have time to follow the thread - or you could trawl
thru' the code for clues 8-)

Gavin