FEATURE REQUEST - was Re: stepped download set in config - how?

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 18:56:42 PST 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-22 at 00:04 -0200, Mauricio Teixeira wrote:
> Em Sex, 2007-12-21 às 12:37 +0900, Gavin Chester escreveu:
> > How can I add the "stepped" option to smart's config file, for example
>
> Unfortunately you can't.
>
> --stepped is a run-time option, not a configuration variable.

Thanks for the answer, but dang, that's a shame :-( For the record, I'll
tell you why it is important to this particular user ;-) ...

I usually run the smart gui to give greater simplicity when seeing,
choosing or overlooking widely different package upgrades. When I have
gone to the effort of choosing anywhere up to 30 or so packages in one
session there is no way to save that chosen list (another feature
request put to the developers a few times <wink>).

Often, one or more of the chosen upgrades fails to download and then
smart-gui completely borks and freezes so that I can only kill it from
the command line. Restarting smart, me thinks "what was that list of
packages I had chosen?" ... you get the idea. Doing that every other
upgrade gets rather tedious. The alternative is to do it from the cli
for a much smaller list of specific packages. Again very tedious. Or,
from the gui with a much smaller list of specific packages. Again very
tedious.

You get the idea why any of 1/ "stepped" upgrades in gui; or, 2/ saving
chosen package list in gui; or, 3/ stopping smart-gui from freezing
after failed package downloads; or 4/ all three of the previous
solutions are fundamental gui feature additions, for me. Thanks guys, an
otherwise fantastic app. that I steer every other user towards for their
package management :-)

Gavin