[issue350] [PLUGIN] Sync Yum channels

Mauricio Teixeira mteixeira at webset.net
Fri Dec 28 09:05:24 PST 2007

Keith Roberts wrote:
> I'm also running Fedora 8 and smart 0.52. I think that would be
> brilliant to have a plugin to sync smart and yum channels. At the moment
> I have to keep the channels in sync by hand.

You can download the .tar.gz file, and uncompress it under
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages

It's an ugly solution, but you can use it to test the given plugin and
give me provide any feedback before it's made official.

> I was thinking about writing an application that would convert different
> channel/repo files to different package manager format. But this would
> save me the time and trouble.

Smart can already import from apt and this plugin provides support for
yum. If requests and testers come, more plugins can be added to import
from other package mangers.

> Why can't the package managers agree on a standard format for their
> channel/repo file format. That would make life alot easier IMHO.

Ha! That's a hole different discussion. :)

Well, to be fair, Smart and Yum are very very similar, except for the
fact that Yum allow some variables (like $basearch) into repository
definition, while Smart does not have them. But 90% of the definition
keys are similar.

--
% Mauricio Teixeira (netmask) | Sao Paulo/SP/BR      %
% mteixeira{a}webset{d}net    | http://smartpm.org   %

NOTE: This is my personal e-mail account. I do NOT use
it to speak for my employer or any of my co-workers.