Smart on Debian

linux_learner linux.learner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 11:46:16 PST 2007

You are entitled to your opinion. Before I wrote that, there was no
documentation. There were no requires/dependencies listed. I checked
the Debian dependencies, before putting it into the howto. I have had
Debian developers review the howto for thoroughness and accuracy.

Now, as to the issue at hand; you are comparing apples to oranges.
Yes, the whole point of a package manager is to resolve the
dependencies, however, when I wrote the howto, I wrote it from the
perspective of working with out any package manager. No apt, yum,
urpmi, anything. I also stated in the howto, that if you add the
appropriate repo to your package manager, such as apt, yum, urpmi,
then the install is a breeze since the current package manager will
resolve those dependencies.

I know that the Prerequisites doesn't include rpm-python. I couldn't
get verification from anyone in Debian about this, and as I mentioned
above, I did have this howto checked by Debian developers for
completeness and accuracy. I apologize if I missed one.

I listed the dependencies for those that either download it
individually, or as I mentioned above, working with out a package
manager. Imagine trying to install a given package with out using yum,
urpmi, or apt. It helps, going into it, to know what you need. If you
go to build a house, and you know you need land and wood, but don't
consider the cement, wheel barrow, water, nails, hammer, screw driver,
drill, saw, windows, dry wall and so on, just to get the frame up, not
figuring in the electrical or plumbing, then you'd be deep into an
expensive project only to realize you don't have all the stuff you
need. So I said that if you want to build this house, called smart
package manager, you will either need a pre-manufactured house smart
package manager, or this is what you'll need to build it yourself.