question on "smart upgrade --dump"

Werner Flamme werner.flamme at ufz.de
Fri Jan 26 00:57:55 PST 2007

Gustavo Niemeyer schrieb am 23.01.2007 16:20:
> (...)
>> What is the difference between "smart upgrade" and "smart install ..."
>> (where "..." means the list of the packages that is shown with "smart
>> upgrade --dump")?
>
> There's an error in the implementation of --dump.  When you ask
> Smart to upgrade your system, it will consider many different
> settings, including RPM obsoletes and the priorities you have
> provided on channels and on individual packages.  These settings
> may lead to packages being in the "downgrading" list.
>
> When Mauricio implemented the --dump option, he forgot about
> that detail in the upgrade implementation.  I'll make sure that
> in the next Smart release these packages are also listed in the
> dump output.
>
> Thanks for notifying us.

Hmmmm.... what I still do not understand is the difference between smart
install and smart upgrade.

When smart considers different settings, this is only when I do a smart
upgrade and not a smart install?

As I tried to say: when I do a "smart upgrade --dump", I get the list of
packages that need to be upgraded. When I take the output list and put it
after a "smart install", only those packages are installed, without the
need tzo downgrade or remove any other package. Maybe there's an additional
package to be installed because of a new dependency, but that's all.

By seeing that "smart install [package list]" does its job fine, I think
it's not an error of the --dump option, but of the calculation for "smart
upgrade" ;-)

>> BTW, using "smart --gui", selecting "View -> Hide non-upgrades" and
>> selecting the packages one by one to "upgrade" does not cause this
>> bulk of dependencies.
>
> Of course. Ultimately, you can select *all* packages marked to
> be changed in an upgrade to be kept in their original state.
>
> Upgrading is an operation that computes a candidate state to your
> system based on settings you have provided in the past and relations
> between packages.  You may opt to not do any of the suggested
> operations.  You're also welcome to change these settings again,
> which will then produce a different candidate state.

Yes, I understand this. But what is the difference between the candidate
state computed with "smart install" and "smart upgrade", when I tell smart
to install exactly those packages that are shown with "smart upgrade --dump"?

And, best of all: I use smart in the most up to date version on my offive
PC (that's where I am now) running SUSE 10.0 x86_64, on my home PC (SUSE
10.1) and on my laptop (openSUSE 10.2). I notice the different behaviour of
"smart upgrade" and "smart install" only on my office PC...

Regards
Werner

--
Werner Flamme, Abt. WKDV
Helmholtz-Zentrum für Umweltforschung GmbH - UFZ
http://www.ufz.de - eMail: werner.flamme at ufz.de