question on "smart upgrade --dump"

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Tue Jan 23 07:20:42 PST 2007

(...)
> What is the difference between "smart upgrade" and "smart install ..."
> (where "..." means the list of the packages that is shown with "smart
> upgrade --dump")?

There's an error in the implementation of --dump.  When you ask
Smart to upgrade your system, it will consider many different
settings, including RPM obsoletes and the priorities you have
provided on channels and on individual packages.  These settings
may lead to packages being in the "downgrading" list.

When Mauricio implemented the --dump option, he forgot about
that detail in the upgrade implementation.  I'll make sure that
in the next Smart release these packages are also listed in the
dump output.

Thanks for notifying us.

> BTW, using "smart --gui", selecting "View -> Hide non-upgrades" and
> selecting the packages one by one to "upgrade" does not cause this
> bulk of dependencies.

Of course. Ultimately, you can select *all* packages marked to
be changed in an upgrade to be kept in their original state.

Upgrading is an operation that computes a candidate state to your
system based on settings you have provided in the past and relations
between packages.  You may opt to not do any of the suggested
operations.  You're also welcome to change these settings again,
which will then produce a different candidate state.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net