Operation Progress window did not scroll

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Mon Jul 16 03:41:31 PDT 2007

>> Using 'smart --gui' under Gnome on SuSE 10.2.  An update to Gnome
>> for SuSE 10.2 became available recently, meaning there were 100
>> packages (or thereabouts) to be installed.
>>
>> When 'smart --gui' got to the 'committing transaction' phase, its
>> Operation Progress window would not show other packages than those
>> it installed first -- attempts to move the slider of the scroll bar
>> of that window were ignored.  So (after the first few packages) all
>> I could follow was the overall percent complete of that phase, but
>> not the individual progress with the remainder of the packages.
>> (All packages were installed o.k.)  I do not know whether the 'not
>> scroll' behavior I saw may have been due to something being
>> installed interacting with something being used.  The 'smart --gui'
>> message log window showed nothing out of the ordinary.
>>
>> mikus
>
> Did you have any other mouse or keyboard control of the smart window
> during this phase or after it completed? I have found on my suse 10.2
> system on a laptop of 'only' 512mb ram that smart gui often becomes
> 'dead' to user input during and after operations even though it is
> running, or has competed an operation. I usually have to kill it off
> when this happens.

With the mouse I could reposition the 'Operation Progress' window,
and change its vertical or horizontal size.  Did not try keyboard
control.

I'm used to having 'smart --gui' be responsive -- that's why I
posted when I didn't experience responsiveness.

It's been ages and ages since I've had to "kill" smart.  In the case
I posted about, I was able to continue to use smart for looking up
things (though I happened not to attempt any further downloads).

mikus   (BTW, using smart version 0.51)