caching downloaded packages

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Sat Mar 24 16:58:34 PDT 2007

On Mar 24, 2007, at 7:43 PM, Pascal Bleser wrote:

> Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
>> Smart 0.50, 64-bit SuSE 10.0.
>>
>> Doing a 'smart upgrade', I see the message:  error - unpacking of
>> archive failed on file /usr/lib64/xulrunner-1.8.1;  cpio: rename
>> failed - Resource temporarily unavailable
>>
>> If I repeat the 'smart upgrade' it downloads the file again (before
>> hitting that same error).  How come the downloaded file is not being
>> left in /var/lib/smart/packages ?
>
> It's not related to smart, actually, but to a cpio limitation
> (which is
> what rpm is using as its internal archive format).

Actually the limitation is uglix symlinks, since its never clear when
to follow
and when not.

> The problem comes from a symbolic link in the current version of the
> package being overwritten by a real directory in the newer version of
> that package (or the opposite, I don't remember).
>
> The trick is as follows:
> rpm -e --nodeps xulrunner
> smart install xulrunner
>
> (or "xulrunner181" instead of "xulrunner", I don't remember which
> one it
> was ;))

Yep. And the packaing rule is
     Never try to repace a directory with a symlink.

OTOH, there's actually a way to accomplish replacing a directory with
a symlink in rpm if absoultely necessary using %pretrans, but the
general
packaging rule applies still.

73 de Jeff