caching downloaded packages

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat Mar 24 20:08:31 PDT 2007

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 00:43:54 +0100 Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser at skynet.be> wrote:
> Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> > Smart 0.50, 64-bit SuSE 10.0.
> >
> > Doing a 'smart upgrade', I see the message:  error - unpacking of
> > archive failed on file /usr/lib64/xulrunner-1.8.1;  cpio: rename
> > failed - Resource temporarily unavailable
> >
> > If I repeat the 'smart upgrade' it downloads the file again (before
> > hitting that same error).  How come the downloaded file is not being
> > left in /var/lib/smart/packages ?
>
> It's not related to smart, actually, but to a cpio limitation (which is
> what rpm is using as its internal archive format).
>
> The problem comes from a symbolic link in the current version of the
> package being overwritten by a real directory in the newer version of
> that package (or the opposite, I don't remember).
>
> The trick is as follows:
> rpm -e --nodeps xulrunner
> smart install xulrunner
>
> (or "xulrunner181" instead of "xulrunner", I don't remember which one it
> was ;))

Your trick did not work for me.  The 'rpm -e --nodeps mozilla-xulrunner181'
got rid of the installed xulrunner, but the 'smart install mozilla-xulrunner181'
still failed with that same error message.

When I posted, I assumed there was something wrong with the package
that was downloaded.  That is why I did not ask for how to correct
the package.  But I *was* under the impression that smart downloaded
packages to /var/lib/smart/packages, and only deleted them if the
package install went o.k.  In this case, the package install failed.
How come that package was not left in /var/lib/smart/packages ?

mikus