RFE: smart upgrade automatically installing kernel modules for new kernels?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue May 15 08:43:05 PDT 2007

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 11:05:49AM -0300, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> Hey Axel,
>
> > any chance this could be looked at? There is also a ticket on this.
>
> Sure thing!
>
> > This is the only real shortcoming of smart from my POV. I managed to
> > write a correspondig yum plugin in less than 100 lines of python, but
> > for smart I'm missing the hooks.
> >
> > The operation is rather trivial it just needs to be hacked into smart
> > somehow. OK, I know, "send in a patch" :)
>
> I'd like to make this work by adding a hook and a plugin which inserts
> artificial "upgrade" relationships in the graph, which should be
> somewhat trivial as well.
>
> To guide the development, can you come up with a list of use cases
> you'd like to cover?  If possible, please try to make them short and
> simple (E.g. package .... and ... is installed, package .... is
> available, etc).

The pseudo-code is simple:

package foo-kmdl-somekernelA and kernelB are installed (*): If
foo-kmdl-somekernelB exists pull it in.

(*) Replace "installed" with "installed or to be installed in this
    smart transaction" for the more correct relationship.

It is a bit more involved because the "uname -r" in kernel packages is
sometimes split, e.g. it isn't kernel-2.6.22smp, but
kernel-smp-2.6.22. This mapping must either be known to the plugin or
instead of using the kernel rpm name one could use the
/lib/modules/uname-r directories.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net