verify installed files

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Sun Nov 11 21:18:41 PST 2007

On Nov 11, 2007, at 11:54 PM, Max Waterman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use rkhunter, which checks for root kits, and part
> of it's functionality requires the constructions of a table of
> hashes for each file on the system.
>
> However, before that is done, it is necessary to verify that the
> files are the same as the originals.
>
> Apparently, this can be done with a package manager, but I don't
> see such an option with smart. Could someone enlighten me?

If on a rpm managed system, one can verify installed file contents
using md5 hashes
carried in packages by doing
     rpm -Va

The md5 hashes, if located in digitally signed package headers, are
quite trustworthy.

If the headers are not signed, then the other alternative is to get a
readonly
copy of the installed packages, and then (for each package) do
     rpm -Vp somepkg*.rpm
which is equally trustworthy.

73 de Jeff