How to best handle three offices with three different sets of repositories and different proxies?

Rainer M Krug rainer.linux at krugs.de
Thu Nov 29 00:15:20 PST 2007

Hi Grant

thanks for your suggestion
Some questions below:

Grant McWilliams wrote:
> I have a similar situation. I've settled on storing my channels in a
> channels.txt file and my mirrors in a mirrors.txt file. Then once you
> have that
> you can just have a 5 line shell script that sets the proxies (http and
> ftp) and sucks in the channels.txt and mirrors.txt files.
>
> *Creating the files*
>
>     smart channel --show > channels.txt
>     smart mirror --show > mirrors.txt
>

> *The shell script*
>
>     #!/bin/bash
>
>     smart config --set http-proxy=
>     http://username:password@proxy-ip:port
>     <http://username:password@proxy-ip/>
>     smart config --set ftp-proxy=http://username:password@proxy-ip:port
>     <http://username:password@proxy-ip/>
>
>     smart channel --add channels.txt
>
>     smart mirror --add mirrors.txt

this solution sounds easy enough - but if I switch to the other site,
don't I have to remove the channels and mirrors from the previos one to
only have one set?

> This is a simple version of our solution. We actually have a role based
> solution and the script checks a system variable for the ROLE and then
> sets up proxies and repositories accordingly. We also have boxes that
> move in and out of the network so the proxy code is automatic now. When
> you boot up it checks to see if it can ping the proxy and if not it
> turns the proxies off (for wget, smartpm, firefox and links). If the
> proxy machine can be pinged then it turns the proxies on.

That sounds FANTASTIC! Because I am struggling with different profiles
for the different offices for many programms. Could you probably give me
a hint on how to do this or even mail me the batch file you are using?

Thanks a million,

Rainer