smart upgrade problem with obsolete package

Heinz Deinhart heinz at tilab.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Sep 20 03:11:10 PDT 2007

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007, Jani Partanen wrote:

> My suggestion is that you put lower priority to all 3rd party repositories,
> that way your system will stay as clean as possible and only packets what
> isn't available from cenos repository is installed from 3rd party repos (and
> deps)

Thanks for the advice, but the problem happens even if i do not use any
3rd party repos at all. The pidgin package is a regular update from
CentOS/Redhat.

But i may have tracked the problem down a bit, it only happens on x86_64
where two gaim packages are installed (i386 and x86_64). I created an
corresponding scenario with a centos5/i386 distro where only gaim.i386 is
installed. And there the upgrade works, pidgin gets installed and gaim
removed.

So maybe smart fails to upgrade because it gets confused by those
different architectures?

thanks & ciao,
Heinz