smart proxy not working correctly?

Grant McWilliams grantmasterflash at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 16:26:14 PDT 2007

On 9/25/07, Gustavo Niemeyer <gustavo at niemeyer.net> wrote:

> Hi Grant,
>
> > I have a situation where there are a lot of mobile machines that roam
> inside
> > and outside of a network. When they're inside the network they need to
> > connect to an http/ftp proxy in order to access the outside. Setting
> this is
> > easy in smart (smart config --set http-proxy=
> > http://proxy.example-company.com:8080). The problem is sometimes these
> > machines are on the outside of the network and the proxy isn't available
> > them ( proxy.example-company.com is a DNS name only available inside the
> > network).
>
> I'm not sure I understand what the real issue is.  What I understood from
> your description is that you have a proxy setup, and when the proxy setup
> is right Smart works, but when it's wrong Smart doesn't.
>
> Can you please enlighten me about the actual issue?
>
> --
> Gustavo Niemeyer
> http://niemeyer.net

:-)

Ok, hopefully a bit clearer..

1. set http proxy with smart
2. smart update succeeds if the proxy server is accessible.
3. smart update fails if the proxy server is not accessible.

This I believe is the way it's supposed to be. Here's the problem

1. set the ftp proxy with smart
2. smart update succeeds if the proxy is accessible.
3. smart update succeeds if the proxy server is not accessible.

Grant