changes in repositories

Grant McWilliams grantmasterflash at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 16:34:31 PDT 2007

On 9/25/07, Gustavo Niemeyer <gustavo at niemeyer.net> wrote:

> (...)
> > described is how smart currently behaves, would you please add a
> > specific error message when the location pointed to by the channel
> > formerly held a repository, but no longer does.
>
> I don't understand what you mean here, Mikus.  If the repository is moved
> away, Smart will complain just like it does whenever it can't find
> information deemed essential.
>
> If there's any reason why you believe this isn't the case, please provide
> more information about it.
>
> --
> Gustavo Niemeyer
> http://niemeyer.net

I think what he's saying is it complains but the complaint doesn't closely
match the problem. I have the same compaint about the "configuration is
read-only" message. I'm using smart to replace 3 other package managers and
have standardized on it everywhere. I have people without a lot of computer
knowledge (airplane mechanics) operating boxes that just get irritated when
they get a message that doesn't tell them what's wrong. If other package
managers have more than one process attempting to access the rpm db they
same something to the extent of "only one process accessing the rpmdb at a
time"...

Having said all that I'd like to take this moment to thank Gustavo for an
amazing piece of software. I'm relying on it so much that I'm going to start
factoring in a certain amount of time in my contracts to write patches and
submit them if patches are welcome.

Grant