changes in repositories

Grant McWilliams grantmasterflash at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 09:57:06 PDT 2007

On 9/26/07, Gustavo Niemeyer <gustavo at niemeyer.net> wrote:

> Hey again Grant,
>
> > I think what he's saying is it complains but the complaint doesn't
> closely
> > match the problem. I have the same compaint about the "configuration is
> > read-only" message. I'm using smart to replace 3 other package managers
> and
> > have standardized on it everywhere. I have people without a lot of
> computer
> > knowledge (airplane mechanics) operating boxes that just get irritated
> when
> > they get a message that doesn't tell them what's wrong. If other package
> > managers have more than one process attempting to access the rpm db they
> > same something to the extent of "only one process accessing the rpmdb at
> > time"...
>
> You're absolutely right.  I'll put that in my TODO list for the next
> release.
>
> > Having said all that I'd like to take this moment to thank Gustavo for
> an
> > amazing piece of software. I'm relying on it so much that I'm going to
> start
> > factoring in a certain amount of time in my contracts to write patches
> and
> > submit them if patches are welcome.
>
> I'll be very happy to receive your contributions, and to help you in
> whatever you need to do so.
>
> --
> Gustavo Niemeyer
> http://niemeyer.net

Of course the main reason I want to work on it is it's become invaluable to
me and I need features! We're all selfish
in the end aren't we?

Anyway all of these things are features I've needed on some pretty big
projects and had to script around them.

   1. Yum's ability to install a package and only enable the repo that
   one time is needed
   2. Yum's ability to groupinstall is very needed
   3. smart upgrade --update updates all repos. I'd like to specify a
   repo after --update and have it only update that repo
   4. reliable return codes from the cli for scripting purposes
   5. maybe a check to see if there's an update and give back a return
   code if there is or not
   6. maybe better query formatting options so I don't have to spend so
   much time piping to awk

There's more but I can't remember right now. I spend a lot time grepping the
output of smartpm for messages instead of relying on return codes which I
don't like. Also I'm going to make a concerted effort to add as much as I
can to the official docs. Like I've said I've been using it quite a lot and
have about 500 lines of scripts built around smart now (in a larger 15,000
line project). I have the hard way found out how to do stuff (usually by
reading the source). I'd like the documentation to be so thorough and easy
to read that a pre-schooler could use it.

Grant