Fedora, yumsync, mirrorlist (was: Smart 1.0 is out!)

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Mon Aug 18 02:50:43 PDT 2008

Axel Thimm wrote:

>> Fedora Extras has "smart" and "fedora-package-config-smart",
>> which could be updated to 1.0 (maybe even include yumsync* ?)
>>
>> * https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/245109
>
> Well, given Fedora's promise of "close to upstream" and some recent
> issues cross-distro with packaging deviating too much from upstream
> (see Debian's openssl issue) I'm hesitant to include anything that
> upstream didn't consider stable enough to add to a release.

OK. Just noted that openSUSE had added zyppsync downstream already...

> More that yumsync I'd love an approved method of adding mirrorlists -
> there is
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/247351
> https://code.launchpad.net/~netmask/smart/mirrorlist
>
> e.g. to different methods, both with pros and cons (the mirror rpmmd
> option looks like it will make it through into smart's code base,
> currently the only issue is that it needs two runs, which may be
> confusing to the user).

I'm currently using something like "mirror.centos.org" or other
local repository mirror server myself so don't use mirrorlist much,
but I can see how it is needed for migrating yum's .repo info...

Mirrorlist channel seems like a simple workaround for rpm-md
channels until "proper" mirrorlist support is added (1.1 ?)
and could be useful for other channel formats as well I guess.

Although I do believe the "mirrors" channel already existing
seems like very similar to rasker's new "mirrorlist" channel ?
Haven't looked into any details with either of the methods yet.