Is Smart available on Embedded Linux?

Hai Ho Thanh haiht.tsdv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 08:24:46 PST 2008

Thank you very much for your reply, Mauricio :)

I have use smart a time on both Ubuntu 7.10 and CentOS 4.5 and  I like it
very much :). My developing system (MFP - Multi Function Peripheral) bases
on a rpm distro (similar to CentOS) so I will very happy if smart can run on
it.

I also study other tools: apt, yum; I found that smart and apt (apt-rpm for
rpm distros) outperform to yum. Apt and smart are more rapidly and less bugs
than yum (after using both 3 tools for a time). So until now, our team are
confusing to chose apt or smart for our developing system.

As I know Apt does not need python like smart. So apt maybe have more
advantages than smart for embeded system solution? Do you think that Python
is the big problems for smart to run on an embedded system (which have a
little of resources: memory, processor speed).

One thing I still confuse is memory consumption. Have you ever installed
smart in system which have very small memory (like embedded system). I can't
imagine the smart speed in this case :).