Is Smart available on Embedded Linux?

Mauricio Teixeira mteixeira at webset.net
Mon Jan 14 09:29:31 PST 2008

Hai Ho Thanh wrote:
> it very much :). My developing system (MFP - Multi Function Peripheral)
> bases on a rpm distro (similar to CentOS) so I will very happy if smart
> can run on it.

Cool. Please write a review of your work and make it public. :)

> As I know Apt does not need python like smart. So apt maybe have more
> advantages than smart for embeded system solution? Do you think that

Yes, APT is C, so no big dependencies. Smart needs python and a few
extra modules. Is storage space a problem for you?

> One thing I still confuse is memory consumption. Have you ever installed
> smart in system which have very small memory (like embedded system). I
> can't imagine the smart speed in this case :).

I've never tried with less than 512MB ram. :)

What I can tell you is: Smart uses as much memory as needed by the
amount of packages in the repository information. Which means, the
program has a fixed low limit (Smart + Python) and a floating memory
usage that depends on how big is the metadata of your repository.

--
% Mauricio Teixeira (netmask) | Sao Paulo/SP/BR      %
% mteixeira{a}webset{d}net    | http://smartpm.org   %

NOTE: This is my personal e-mail account. I do NOT use
it to speak for my employer or any of my co-workers.