Is Smart available on Embedded Linux?

Ho Thanh Hai haiht.tsdv at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 07:04:47 PST 2008

Mauricio Teixeira wrote:
> Hai Ho Thanh wrote:
>> it very much :). My developing system (MFP - Multi Function
>> Peripheral) bases on a rpm distro (similar to CentOS) so I will very
>> happy if smart can run on it.
>
> Cool. Please write a review of your work and make it public. :)
>
>> As I know Apt does not need python like smart. So apt maybe have more
>> advantages than smart for embeded system solution? Do you think that
>
> Yes, APT is C, so no big dependencies. Smart needs python and a few
> extra modules. Is storage space a problem for you?
>
>> One thing I still confuse is memory consumption. Have you ever
>> installed smart in system which have very small memory (like embedded
>> system). I can't imagine the smart speed in this case :).
>
> I've never tried with less than 512MB ram. :)
>
> What I can tell you is: Smart uses as much memory as needed by the
> amount of packages in the repository information. Which means, the
> program has a fixed low limit (Smart + Python) and a floating memory
> usage that depends on how big is the metadata of your repository.

Thank you Mauricio,

I have something to ask you more :)

I know that Yum used only Python, Smart also use Python but the speed of
smart is very different from yum, what makes the differences? Beside
that, smart sometime is faster than apt (follow the theory: apt must
faster than smart because apt is C, smart mixed python and a little of C).
The theory I know is:
> kernel -> glibc -> python -> pre-compiling -> yum or smart + extra modules
>
> for apt:
> kernel -> glibc -> libs (stdc++, zlib) -> apt
>
> Pre-compiled software runs always faster ( C and C++ are faster than
> Python).
Do you know what is the main reason make smart is fast like that? :)

Hai HT