smart error leads to app-freeze

Claude Jones claudejones at
Sat Jul 19 20:33:30 PDT 2008

With great regularity, SMART locks up on me and produces the following error
message in a window:
Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/smart/interfaces/gtk/",
line 180, in callback
    exec code in globals

  File "<callback>", line 1, in <module>

  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/smart/interfaces/gtk/",
line 411, in updateChannels
    self._ctrl.reloadChannels(channels, caching=NEVER)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/smart/", line 354, in
    if not channel.fetch(self._fetcher, progress):

  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/smart/channels/", line 73,
in fetch
    digest = getFileDigest(item.getTargetPath())

  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/smart/util/", line 31, in
    file = open(path)

TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found
This happens when I've told it to update the channels. Once it happens, the
update window is frozen as well as the main smart window, and nothing will
close them including killall smart from a root prompt; the only fix is to
totally reboot the machine; if I simply log out and then back in again,
running smart will produce the same error message again - it has to be a
complete restart...

Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA