future of smart

Basil Chupin blchupin at tpg.com.au
Wed Jun 4 23:20:40 PDT 2008

Cliff Wells wrote:
> I'm becoming a little worried about the future of Smart.  It's by far
> the best package manager I've used (and much, much better than the crud
> being foisted on us by Fedora), but development seems to have stalled.
>
> A couple of things that need addressing:
>
> 1) The GUI is old, old, old.  Functionally it's not bad (and far better
> than PackageKit's joke of a GUI), but GTK1?

Who really cares about the GUI as long as the application works well?

Does smart sit on your Desktop and you access it every few minutes to?
Yes? No?

If NO then what's the problem with not seeing some fancy,
all-singing-all-dancing piece of crap which only slows your system down
with all the bangles and eye-candy which do nothing useful?

If YES then you don't need Linux as and operating system. Maybe you
don't need a computer at all.

> 2) Mirror support is too convoluted to be usable.  This is a really key
> point because Fedora at least, supplies nothing but mirrors these days.
> This makes getting Smart going on a FC9 box a herculean task.
>
> I think these two things would go a long way toward making Smart feel
> not quite so obsolete.

I use smart on the openSUSE system (currently 11.0 RC1) and I wouldn't
not only alter any of its current workings but would fight
tooth-and-nail to make sure smart keeps going as a viable application.

I really would like to see openSUSE replace its updater/upgrader with
something which works so very well, namely smart - so don't go knocking
a well-working application like smart simply because in your opinion the
GUI doesn't have flashing and blinking and star-burst effects  :-) .

Ciao.

--
Vulgar language is the linguistic crutch of inarticulate persons.