future of smart

Cliff Wells cliff at develix.com
Thu Jun 5 01:59:46 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 10:35 +0200, Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Cliff Wells wrote:
>
> > As far as PackageKit, it seems to be taking the least-common-
> > denominator
> > approach and that's not appealing to me.  It might have a decent
> > roadmap
> > for the future, but currently it's one of the worst I've ever seen (on
> > FC9 the GUI can only select a single package for installation, so
> > if you
> > want to install several packages you better use the CLI).
>
> I actually thought it was better than Pup/Pirut/Puplet...
> Then again, those were pretty horrible to start with :-)

Well, it *looks* pretty enough, but only being able to select a single
package at a time for installation is unacceptable.   I skipped the
whole Pup/Pirut/Puplet stage (been using Smart for a long while) so I
can't comment on them.

I understand PackageKit's author is planning a rewrite of the frontend
but I find it regretful that Fedora project decided to push it out the
door when it clearly is nowhere near ready.

In any case, it lacks a Smart backend, so it's going to be inferior for
package management no matter what the frontend looks like ;-)

Cliff