future of smart

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu Jun 5 02:19:32 PDT 2008

Cliff Wells wrote:

>> I actually thought it was better than Pup/Pirut/Puplet...
>> Then again, those were pretty horrible to start with :-)
>
> Well, it *looks* pretty enough, but only being able to select a single
> package at a time for installation is unacceptable.   I skipped the
> whole Pup/Pirut/Puplet stage (been using Smart for a long while) so I
> can't comment on them.

My point was that they're not the same, Smart is more like Synaptic
(for APT) or Yum Extender (for Yum) where as PackageKit is more like
app-install/update-manager/update-notifier or pup/pirut/puplet...

According to my understanding, the inspiration is "Add/Remove Programs"

> I understand PackageKit's author is planning a rewrite of the frontend
> but I find it regretful that Fedora project decided to push it out the
> door when it clearly is nowhere near ready.

I thought that Bleeding Edge was what running Fedora was all about :-)

> In any case, it lacks a Smart backend, so it's going to be inferior
> for
> package management no matter what the frontend looks like ;-)

Actually it does have a Smart backend, though it is not 100% complete.
Summary at http://packagekit.org/pk-faq.html#how-complete, and code at:
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=packagekit.git;a=tree;f=backends/smart