future of smart

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu Jun 5 02:02:35 PDT 2008

Grant McWilliams wrote:

> Since we're all talking after a long absence I'm going to write a
> quick wish list. I myself will have zero time to do anything with
> smart until about the first of September as I'll be away but here
> it is anyway. The list in order of importance to me.
>
> groupinstall like yum
> It may seems strange but I need groupinstall more than anything. I
> hate having to bring Yum up to do groupinstall XFCE-4.4.

Question is whether it is worth to add all the Yum features like
groups and security and presto and so on to Smart (that only knows
about the RPM packages), or if one should just switch over to using
Yum in that case ?

Some features that I would like myself are:
1. Source packages (like "apt-get source")
2. Build dependencies (like "apt-get build-dep")
3. Bootstrapping (like with debootstrap/rpmstrap)

And updated user interface using Glade (or Cocoa) would be nice, but
the current GTK+ interface isn't too shabby either on GNOME or on Mac
OS X in my opinion. Rest of your list seems great too, if anyone
would volunteer.