future of smart

Grant McWilliams grantmasterflash at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 02:22:20 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 2:02 AM, Anders F Björklund <afb at algonet.se> wrote:

> Grant McWilliams wrote:
>
>  Since we're all talking after a long absence I'm going to write a quick
>> wish list. I myself will have zero time to do anything with smart until
>> about the first of September as I'll be away but here it is anyway. The list
>> in order of importance to me.
>>
>> groupinstall like yum

>> It may seems strange but I need groupinstall more than anything. I hate
>> having to bring Yum up to do groupinstall XFCE-4.4.

> Question is whether it is worth to add all the Yum features like groups and
> security and presto and so on to Smart (that only knows about the RPM
> packages), or if one should just switch over to using Yum in that case ?
>
> Some features that I would like myself are:
> 1. Source packages (like "apt-get source")
> 2. Build dependencies (like "apt-get build-dep")
> 3. Bootstrapping (like with debootstrap/rpmstrap)
>
> And updated user interface using Glade (or Cocoa) would be nice, but the
> current GTK+ interface isn't too shabby either on GNOME or on Mac OS X in my
> opinion. Rest of your list seems great too, if anyone would volunteer.
>
> --anders
>
> We had a discussion ages ago about groupinstall and where yum gets it's
group info from but I can tell you that I manage a repo for a company and I
don't do anything special when I create rpms and I can install all files
from my group using yum with one line. I think the conversation died before
we really decided what to do about groupinstall. I really don't think having
smart keep track of which package belongs to which group would be that big
of a deal, someone would just have to dig into it.

Grant