future of smart

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu Jun 5 03:05:03 PDT 2008

Grant McWilliams wrote:

> We had a discussion ages ago about groupinstall and where yum gets
> it's group info from but I can tell you that I manage a repo for a
> company and I don't do anything special when I create rpms and I
> can install all files from my group using yum with one line. I
> think the conversation died before we really decided what to do
> about groupinstall. I really don't think having smart keep track of
> which package belongs to which group would be that big of a deal,
> someone would just have to dig into it.

I have been using "virtual packages" instead, but then again I don't
use Yum...
But I think groups work something like in Anaconda, which I do use
occasionally.

I agree it would be a nice feature, if all groups/virtual
dependencies could
be known/listed by Smart... Maybe it could parse the comps.xml into
"regular"
packages and list them with all the rest ? I did something like this
for the
virtual packages that Fink provides (externally) for the system
capabilities.

ZYpp is doing some work on unifying (groups/patterns and updates/
patches), so
there _might_ be a common metadata format for RPM repositories in the
future.