future of smart

Michael Jennings mej at kainx.org
Thu Jun 12 13:35:21 PDT 2008

On Wednesday, 11 June 2008, at 15:44:59 (-0700),
Cliff Wells wrote:

> I've seen this happen a few times and every time it appeared to me to
> result from having the same packages available from different repos
> (e.g. freshrpms, livna, et al).  What appears to happen is something
> like this:
>
> repo A:
>     package-1.0
>     dependency-1.0
>
> repo B:
>     package-1.1
>     dependency-0.9
>
> Smart sees the upgrade for package-1.1 in repo B.  But this package has
> a requires that forces "dependency" 0.9.  This installs successfully.
> But then on the next "smart upgrade", Smart sees the newer
> dependency-1.0, but this forces a downgrade of package-1.1 to
> package-1.0.  This happens until eventually both repos have the newer
> versions of both packages.

What were the relative priorities of the repositories involved, and
did you try changing those priorities?  Seems to me that would solve
this problem, as smart should resist downgrading a package from a
higher priority repo to one from a lower priority repo.

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <mej at kainx.org>
Linux Server/Cluster Admin, LBL.gov       Author, Eterm (www.eterm.org)