skipping kernel

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Thu Mar 13 06:25:54 PDT 2008

Hello Felix,

> Is there a way to do this while upgrading everything else? Urpmi on Mandriva
> has a config file "skip.list", which allows me to upgrade everything except
> what's listed in that file.

As Patrick pointed out, you can lock packages in both installed and
uninstalled state.  "Locking" means the state won't change (installed
will stay installed, uninstalled will stay uninstalled).

You can do that both in the command line, and in the GUI by right-clicking
the involved package.

> If that's no option, can kernels be installed instead of upgraded while
> everything else is upgraded on SUSE?

Yes, you can flag them as "multi-version".  Please check
"smart flag --help" for more details.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net