skipping kernel

Grant McWilliams grantmasterflash at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 15:38:50 PDT 2008

> It helps, but I don't see an example that really works for me. Do I flag a
> complete package name, or leave off the version part? Do I need both lock
> and
> multi-version flags set in order to have multiple kernels? Is there a
> plain
> text config file that I can just edit instead of typing flag commands?

You can specify by the exact version and package or the entire "group". I
flag things like the kernel and large packages like OpenOffice because
they're huge downloads and/or disruptive in an automated environment.

      smart flag --set lock kernel

This will flag all kernels. To show all files that are locked do this.

    smart flag --show lock

If you'd like to get more info on the locked files follow up with a smart
info

    smart info kernel

Name: kernel
Version: 2.6.18-53.1.6.el5 at i686
 The kernel package contains the Linux kernel (vmlinuz), the core of any
 Linux operating system.  The kernel handles the basic functions
 of the operating system:  memory allocation, process allocation, device
 input and output, etc.

If you're line to lock a specified file actually locks more than one you
will see it in the output to smart info. The smart lock feature isn't that
smart though because you can lock anything including packages that don't
even exist.

Anyway, next step in Factory is to finish the upgrade with Smart, a bloody
> nuisance compared to urpmi that usually needs baby sitting. Smart
> virtually
> always fails to grab one or more packages out of any package list
> consisting
> of more than just a few. So I either have to rerun several times the same
> exact command until it stops missing packages that timed out, or find the
> missing packages on another mirror with mc and copy them to
> /var/lib/smart/packages, so that Smart can actually install any of them,
> since it won't install any until they've all been somehow downloaded.

You can set up mirrors with the smart mirror --add command.
Syntax:
   smart mirror --add <channel> <mirror>

Example:
   smart mirror --add ftp://origin.url/some/path/ http://mirror.url/path/

You can show your mirrors with the smart mirror --show command
[root at MSL-2 bin]# smart mirror --show
http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5/extras/i386/
    http://yum.math.hmc.edu/os/centos/5/extras/i386/
    http://mirror.stanford.edu/yum/pub/centos/5/extras/i386/
    http://www.ossmirror.com/pub/centos/5/extras/i386/
    http://mirror.chpc.utah.edu/pub/centos/5/extras/i386/

The non-indented line is the channel and the four lines after it are the
mirrors. To save time in setting this up you can create a channels.txt file
that looks like this.

channels.txt:

[atrpms]
type = rpm-md
name = CentOS 5 - i386 - atrpms
baseurl = http://dl.atrpms.net/el5-i386/atrpms/stable

[rpmforge]
type = rpm-md
name = CentOS 5 - i386 - rpmforge
baseurl = http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/i386/dag

Now just import it like this..

smart channel --add channels.txt

After you have the channels imported you can import a mirrors.txt file the
same way.
mirrors.txt:

http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5/os/i386/
        http://yum.math.hmc.edu/os/centos/5/os/i386/
        http://mirror.stanford.edu/yum/pub/centos/5/os/i386/
        http://www.ossmirror.com/pub/centos/5/os/i386/
        http://mirror.chpc.utah.edu/pub/centos/5/os/i386/

http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5/centosplus/i386/
        http://yum.math.hmc.edu/os/centos/5/centosplus/i386/
        http://mirror.stanford.edu/yum/pub/centos/5/centosplus/i386/
        http://www.ossmirror.com/pub/centos/5/centosplus/i386/
        http://mirror.chpc.utah.edu/pub/centos/5/centosplus/i386/

smart mirror --add mirrors.txt

This way you'll have multiple smart mirrors per channel and it should cut
down on some of the failures...

Urpmi bunches smallish related groups of packages for download and
> installation, which means only those groups fail for lack of a single file
> rather than 100% of the whole upgrade list. Of course, rerunning Smart
> means
> extra waiting on recalculating the cache and recalculating the upgrade
> list
> each rerun, even though nothing has changed sinc...

Yes, we've all talked about this before. I'd love to see sub lists of
dependencies made so that groups are installed at a time instead of
everything being installed at the end. Having it check disk space before
downloading packages would be nice and maybe have it installl one group
while it's downloading another would make it faster too.

It's almost enough grief to make me try zypper dup instead. :-p

Now you're just being silly! :-)

Grant