What is the problem - and with whom?

Werner Flamme werner.flamme at ufz.de
Thu Mar 20 02:08:49 PDT 2008

Basil Chupin   [20.03.2008 09:06]:

Hi Basil,

> I've been using smart now since it was available for use in openSUSE.
>
> At the moment I am using opeSUSE v10.3 (with all of its upgrades/updates
> as of today).

Same with me, 400+ repos at home managed by smart.

> I am also using both openSUSE's zypper and smart to upgrade the OS.

Same with me, plus apt :-)

> Everything was working just fine until a couple of days ago when
> openSUSE's zypper did some upgrades - and it so happens that I saw that
> python was one of the files being upgraded.
>
> Since this upgrade, smart does not work.
>
> While smart-updater goes away and checks for new upgrades and comes back
> with the information that there are new upgrades available, trying to
> download these new upgrades results with -- zilch.
>
> Running smart itself produces nothing.
>
> Running smart from a command line with, /usr/bin/smart --gui produces
> the error message:
>
> system has no support for gtk python interface
>
> But python is installed (and it was upgraded as I mentioned above).
>
> What do I need to do to get smart working again?

same thing with me, except that I do not use smart-updater. Smart
refuses to start the GUI with the same text for me.

I solved the problem by selecting the entry in the KDE menu (System ->
Configuration -> Smart) as normal user. It asks for the root password
and then smart runs fine. The command hidden behind this menu entry is
"/usr/bin/smart --gui" - exactly what I use to invoke it from a terminal
window as root. However, it runs when called from the menu...

I thought it was some updated part of X that was causing the errors, I
did not notice that python was updated. However, I have it running again :-)

HTH
Werner
--
Werner Flamme, Abt. WKDV
Helmholtz-Zentrum für Umweltforschung GmbH - UFZ
http://www.ufz.de - eMail: werner.flamme at ufz.de