What is the problem - and with whom?

Basil Chupin blchupin at tpg.com.au
Thu Mar 20 21:51:21 PDT 2008

Rick Friedman wrote:

> Basil Chupin wrote:
> | I've been using smart now since it was available for use in openSUSE.
> |
> | At the moment I am using opeSUSE v10.3 (with all of its
> upgrades/updates
> | as of today).
> |
> | I am also using both openSUSE's zypper and smart to upgrade the OS.
> |
> | Everything was working just fine until a couple of days ago when
> | openSUSE's zypper did some upgrades - and it so happens that I saw that
> | python was one of the files being upgraded.
> |
> | Since this upgrade, smart does not work.
> |
> | While smart-updater goes away and checks for new upgrades and comes
> back
> | with the information that there are new upgrades available, trying to
> | download these new upgrades results with -- zilch.
> |
> | Running smart itself produces nothing.
> |
> | Running smart from a command line with, /usr/bin/smart --gui produces
> | the error message:
> |
> | system has no support for gtk python interface
> |
> | But python is installed (and it was upgraded as I mentioned above).
> |
> | What do I need to do to get smart working again?
>
> I had the same problem. For me the offending package was python-gtk
> version 2.12.0-22.1. I downgraded python-gtk back to version 2.12.0-4.2.
> Smart now works fine with the GUI again.

OK, now you have me puzzled big time.

Where does python-gtk 2.12.0-4.2 come from?

I just went back to the version available on the openSUSE site which is
version 2.10.6-25 at i586. (smart is now working again following this change.)

zypper (now) and smart do not show any available upgrades to python-gtk.

The upgrade to python-gtk v2.12.0-22.1.i586.rpm dated 17 March came from
'openSUSE BuildService - GNOME: Community' (which I have now removed
from the list of Community repositories I have in YaST2).

But, where did you get 2.12.0-4.2 from? :-)

Ciao.

--
If you really want to know, you won't ask me.