What is the problem - and with whom?

Rick Friedman rickfriedman at verizon.net
Thu Mar 20 16:10:13 PDT 2008

Basil Chupin wrote:
| I've been using smart now since it was available for use in openSUSE.
|
| At the moment I am using opeSUSE v10.3 (with all of its upgrades/updates
| as of today).
|
| I am also using both openSUSE's zypper and smart to upgrade the OS.
|
| Everything was working just fine until a couple of days ago when
| openSUSE's zypper did some upgrades - and it so happens that I saw that
| python was one of the files being upgraded.
|
| Since this upgrade, smart does not work.
|
| While smart-updater goes away and checks for new upgrades and comes back
| with the information that there are new upgrades available, trying to
| download these new upgrades results with -- zilch.
|
| Running smart itself produces nothing.
|
| Running smart from a command line with, /usr/bin/smart --gui produces
| the error message:
|
| system has no support for gtk python interface
|
| But python is installed (and it was upgraded as I mentioned above).
|
| What do I need to do to get smart working again?

I had the same problem. For me the offending package was python-gtk
version 2.12.0-22.1. I downgraded python-gtk back to version 2.12.0-4.2.
Smart now works fine with the GUI again.

Having said that, I found the following message on the opensuse-gnome
from, Ivan N. Zlatev:

| The python-gtk update (2.12.0-22.1 at i586) in G:C breaks python-gtk and
| consequentially all python-gtk apps. Package testing prior to
| release... anyone? Duh.

| Traceback (most recent call last):
|   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
|   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py",
| line 48, in <module>
|     from gtk import _gtk
| ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/_gtk.so:
| undefined symbol: pyg_gerror_exception_check

I presume that is the cause of the problem.

Rick
- --
Rick's Law: What cannot be imagined will be accomplished by a fool.