What is the problem - and with whom?

Rick Friedman rickfriedman at verizon.net
Fri Mar 21 15:51:02 PDT 2008

Basil Chupin wrote:
| Rick Friedman wrote:
|>
|> Basil Chupin wrote:
|> | I've been using smart now since it was available for use in openSUSE.
|> |
|> | At the moment I am using opeSUSE v10.3 (with all of its
|> upgrades/updates
|> | as of today).
|> |
|> | I am also using both openSUSE's zypper and smart to upgrade the OS.
|> |
|> | Everything was working just fine until a couple of days ago when
|> | openSUSE's zypper did some upgrades - and it so happens that I saw that
|> | python was one of the files being upgraded.
|> |
|> | Since this upgrade, smart does not work.
|> |
|> | While smart-updater goes away and checks for new upgrades and comes
|> back
|> | with the information that there are new upgrades available, trying to
|> | download these new upgrades results with -- zilch.
|> |
|> | Running smart itself produces nothing.
|> |
|> | Running smart from a command line with, /usr/bin/smart --gui produces
|> | the error message:
|> |
|> | system has no support for gtk python interface
|> |
|> | But python is installed (and it was upgraded as I mentioned above).
|> |
|> | What do I need to do to get smart working again?
|>
|> I had the same problem. For me the offending package was python-gtk
|> version 2.12.0-22.1. I downgraded python-gtk back to version 2.12.0-4.2.
|> Smart now works fine with the GUI again.
|
| OK, now you have me puzzled big time.
|
| Where does python-gtk 2.12.0-4.2 come from?
|
| I just went back to the version available on the openSUSE site which is
| version 2.10.6-25 at i586. (smart is now working again following this
change.)

| zypper (now) and smart do not show any available upgrades to python-gtk.
|
| The upgrade to python-gtk v2.12.0-22.1.i586.rpm dated 17 March came from
| 'openSUSE BuildService - GNOME: Community' (which I have now removed
| from the list of Community repositories I have in YaST2).
|
| But, where did you get 2.12.0-4.2 from? :-)
|

| Ciao.

2.12.0-4.2 is at:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/GNOME:/STABLE/openSUSE_10.3/x86_64/python-gtk-2.12.0-4.2.x86_64.rpm

That is for 64 bit. If you're looking for the i586 version then version
2.12.0-4.3 can be found at this link:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/GNOME:/STABLE/openSUSE_10.3/i586/python-gtk-2.12.0-4.3.i586.rpm

Rick
- --
Rick's Law: What cannot be imagined will be accomplished by a fool.