Is it possible to use yum mirrors URLs with smart?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Wed Nov 12 06:03:57 PST 2008

Andre Costa wrote:

> all yum repos on my Fedora 9 have mirrors defined like this:
>
> http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-released-f
> $releasever.newkey&arch=$basearch
>
> Will it work if I create a new up2date Mirror Channel for smart
> providing this as the URL (replacing 9 for $releasever and x86_64
> for $basearch)? I tried that but it doesn't seem to be working...

You can create a rpm-md channel for it, as done in the fedora-package-
config-smart package...
And then add mirrors using the regular smart "mirror" feature, until
mirrorlist works fully.

Eventually you should be able to just activate the yumsync plugin,
and it'll copy the .repo
Alternatively read from the "mirrorlist" parameter that you have
configured manually, but.

> I know I could define mirror URLs directly through "Edit > Mirrors"
> on the GUI, but it's kinda boring entering each URL by hand --
> <hint>it would be perfect if this screen could import mirror URLs
> from a file. Even better: from a URL! =) </hint>
>
> Also, a couple of related questions:
>
> - if I provide a mirror, I should disable the corresponding RPM-MD
> channel, right?
> - where are the channels specs stored? /etc/smart/channels doesn't
> contain all the channels I created with the GUI

These are all pending features, so that smart can sync yum .repo
files directly.
See the "mirrorlist" and "plugins" branches on https://
code.launchpad.net/smart  ?

"smart channel --show" will list the current channels you have
configured.
You can then extract that into separate .channel files, if you prefer
to...