Smart on Fedora and openSUSE

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Wed Feb 25 12:35:52 PST 2009

Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:

>> Smart 1.1.1 doesn't work on Fedora 10 and openSUSE 11.1,
>> but only on the older Fedora 9 and openSUSE 11.0 releases.
>>
>> The necessary patches have been gathered up in the "1.1.2"
>> milestone: https://launchpad.net/smart/+milestone/1.1.2,
>> and have also been added downstream as patches since before.
>> (the patches are mostly for python 2.6 and rpm.org changes)
>
> Thanks.  I'll have a look at these this week still.  We should release
> 1.2 shortly with the most important fixes we've got.

It's just names, but I used "1.1.2" for the gathering of fixes.
(including some downstream patches that seemed good to go...)

While "1.2" had some new features added, like the Qt interface.
But maybe those would be better off as a "2.0" branch instead ?

Both of the development branches are getting to be quite big
though, so maybe it would be easier to discuss feature by bug.

#252824	typo in gtk progress test code

Just an old typo, I have refactored some of the other
GTK+ interface (without changing any features or so)
in my "gtk" branch - based on work done for Qt et al.
It's easier maintenance to keep GTK+ and Qt similar...

#244771	smart doesn't work with rpm 4.4.7 or 5.0.0
#263762	getPathList doesn't work with newer rpm

These two (archscore and filepaths) were moved to
"rpm.util" instead, to provide isolation from API

#292542	Support Python 2.6 too

Needed changes for Fedora and openSUSE that have
upgraded their Python, "hashlib" also offers SHA256

#303051	smart chokes on autofs5's +map syntax
#300456	getScreenWidth() returns an invalid width of zero

These two patches were swiped from downstream,
from patches in the SRPMS for fedora/opensuse.

#302345	smart fails on rpm with empty Provides:
#302395	smart exits on rpm loops

These two are needed for Fedora 10 (and later),
that have rather relaxed packaging policies...

#302453	rpm-md not cleaned on update

Needed to work with the Fedora 10+ repodata.
Fedora 11+ also needs SHA256 (see #331935)

#307386	rpm needs absolute path to root

This bug prevented using smart for bootstraps
(when invoked with a relative path), I believe ?

     ****

Considering these have already been applied to
trunk, they should probably be moved to "1.1.2":

#245470	Add option of starting Smart --gui to ksmarttray
#259142 smart upgrade --dump not working with python 2.3
#287964	timestamps of fetched files are wrong

There might be some other simple bugfixes lurking
in https://launchpad.net/smart/+milestone/1.2 too ?

     ****

Those were just the bugfixes and adoptions to work
with the bleeding edge distros (like fedora/opensuse).

I would be more interested in seeing the new additions
for PackageKit, or the new backend/channel/interface.

#253902 errata info
#263756 smart packs

#245127 arch backend
#260828 qt interface