hashlib instead of md5

Antenore Gatta antenore at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 22:59:58 PST 2009

Hi all,

I just updated smart using the last openSUSE 11.1 Smart repository (and of
course all the others 11.1 repos), and I receive this warning at any smart
update command.

/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/smart/plugins/zyppchannelsync.py:22:
DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
  import md5

Honestly I didn't verify this issue using the last development branch.

Another issue I found, upgrading openSUSE to the last 11.1 version, using
Smart to make the ditribution upgrade, Python is upgraded to the version
2.6, so during the upgrade smart fails because required Python modules are
not installed anymore.

To fix it I had to install manually Python 2.6, pyxml, python-rpm and the
new rpm packages.

Well, this should be reported to openSUSE, I guess... But as far as I heard
several people has these problems during an upgrade process.

Anybody has any ideas to solve these kind of issues?

Thanks a lot
Best regards
Antenore.