RPM packages not showing up in smart

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu Jul 9 06:32:30 PDT 2009

eveith wrote:

> I am experiencing a problem with my RPM5 system: Neither installed nor
> available packages are being shown or recognized by smart.
[...]

>  What can I do to debug that problem? Has anybody hints for me on
> where to
>  start searching? Can I cause smart to print out debugging info
> about its
>  cache updating when running "smart update"? "smart --log-
> level=debug update"
>  does not yield any additional information.

This can happen when the packages get the wrong "archscore",
which makes Smart think they're for a different architecture...

In RPM5, the archscore is determined by /etc/rpm/platform
so first make sure that this file has some reasonable values.

$ python
 >>> import rpm
 >>> print rpm.archscore("i386")
1

If that doesn't do the trick, you might need to troubleshoot
the various rpm loaders directly. Do the smart tests pass ?