Feature idea: checkpoints/rollback

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Fri Sep 18 12:48:01 PDT 2009

Cliff Wells wrote:

> I know there's a lot of housekeeping that would have to be done (too
> many checkpoints could clutter up the filesystem in short order), but
> this seems to be a commonly requested feature in general (google
> "<distro> rollback")

This can also be done on the OS filesystem level, like "apt-clone" does.

* it's a combination of solaris zfs and apt-get, see for instance:
   http://tech.xerces.com/unbreakable-upgrades-zfs-and-apt-get.geek

Something like a) make snapshot b) perform the upgrade, just as usual ?

> ... that might give Smart a needed boost in adoption.
> BTW, I recently switched from Fedora to Ubuntu, and I have to say,
> Smart
> continues to be far superior to the native package management tools on
> both platforms.

Unfortunately it still has some features missing, like source packages.

That and the bad performance are the biggest issues with Smart, for me.