Smart 1.3 hangs on Centos 5.5

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Wed Aug 25 12:46:14 PDT 2010

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> To: Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net>
> From: Anders F Björklund <afb at algonet.se>
> Subject: Re: Smart 1.3 hangs on Centos 5.5
>
> Keith Roberts wrote:
>
>> When I run Smart on Centos 5.5, if I try to install a package, Smart uses
>> 98% of the CPU and just hangs like that.
>>
>> https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=26935&forum=38&post_id=112049#forumpost112049
>>
>> Any ideas please?
>
> Smart 0.52 is old, there's 1.2 too in rpmforge but their
> package builder has been broken for quite some time now.
>
> http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/rpms/smart/
>
> Which package was it (install) ? So CentOS 5.5, on i386.
> Logging as https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/245344
>
> --anders

Hi Anders.

I'm using i386 packages. I had this 98% CPU usage with Smart
0.52 as well. So could it be something else apart from Smart?

Here's the output from:

# yum info smart*

Installed Packages
Name       : smart
Arch       : i386
Version    : 1.3
Release    : 65.el5
Size       : 3.7 M
Repo       : installed
Summary    : Next generation package handling tool
URL        : http://labix.org/smart/
License    : GPLv2+

Name       : smart-gui
Arch       : i386
Version    : 1.3
Release    : 65.el5
Size       : 881 k
Repo       : installed
Summary    : Graphical user interface for the smart package manager
URL        : http://labix.org/smart/
License    : GPLv2+

Name       : smartmontools
Arch       : i386
Epoch      : 1
Version    : 5.38
Release    : 2.el5
Size       : 739 k
Repo       : installed
Summary    : Tools for monitoring SMART capable hard disks
URL        : http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
License    : GPL
            : and smartd) to control and monitor storage systems using the Self-
            : Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology System (SMART) built
            : into most modern ATA and SCSI hard disks. In many cases, these
            : utilities will provide advanced warning of disk degradation and
            : failure.

Available Packages
Name       : smart-update
Arch       : i386
Version    : 0.52
Release    : 1.el5.rf
Size       : 7.6 k
Repo       : rpmforge
Summary    : Allows execution of 'smart update' by normal users (suid)
URL        : http://www.smartpm.org/
License    : GPL
            : special suid command.

Smart 1.3 is from the ATrpms repo.

2010-02-14  Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> - 1.3-65
   - Update to 1.3.
2009-04-16  Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> - 1.2-64
   - Fix premature returns in sha256 patch.
2009-04-15  Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> - 1.2-62
   - Fix sha256 and mdclean patches.
2009-03-22  Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> - 1.2-60
   - Update to 1.2.

Kind Regards,

Keith